The Spend Card may be used at any U.S. merchant that accepts Visa®, including online. However, it may not be used to withdraw money from an ATM or to get cash back.
Purchases in the following categories are blocked based on Merchant Category Codes (MCC) provided by Merchant*:
- Money transfers
- Bars, liquor stores, and drinking places
- Cigar stores and stands
- Lotteries, including government-owned
- Gambling, racing & casinos
- Dating & Escort Services**
In addition, parents may block travel purchases, including airline tickets, car rentals, hotels, and motels.
We block purchases of the above merchant categories where the MCC used by the merchant reflects any of the listed categories. However, if a different or incorrect MCC is used, Family Money may not block the purchase.
* We block purchases of alcohol based on Merchant Category Codes (MCC). Bars, taverns, nightclubs, cocktail lounges, and adult nightlife are blocked where the MCC reflects alcohol MCC.
** We block purchases of dating/escort services based on the Merchant Category Code (MCC). Merchants classified with a specific MCC that reflects dating and escort services are blocked.
The Family Money Prepaid Debit Card is issued by Metropolitan Commercial Bank (MCB, Member FDIC) pursuant to a license from Visa® U.S.A Inc.