The Spend Card is a reloadable Visa® prepaid debit card—not a credit card. Use of the Spend Card will not build credit history. It cannot be used for ATM withdrawals, merchant cash back, and does not offer an overdraft feature. Each time a Spend Card is used to make a purchase, the purchase amount is deducted from the amount of money available on the Spend Card.
Kids may use their Spend Cards at most US merchants, either online or in-person, after the card is activated by a parent, subject to having appropriate funds in the kid’s account, an unlocked card, and limitations on certain merchant categories.
Parents and kids can add money to kids' Spend Cards.
Parents may also:
- Limit the total daily spending amount to $100, or $500 instead of $1,000
- Lock/Unlock Spend Cards
- Enable/Disable Travel Category
- Take the money back from the kids' Spend Cards or Vaults to the Wallet at anytime
- Block travel purchases, including airline tickets, car rentals, hotels, and motels.
Purchases in the following categories are blocked based on MCC provided by Merchant*:
- Money transfers
- Bars, liquor stores, and drinking places
- Cigar stores and stands
- Lotteries, including government-owned
- Gambling, racing & casinos
- Dating & Escort Services
The Spend Card will be shipped to the kid’s address on file and should arrive in approximately 8–10 business days after kids are added to the Family Money.
Once the Spend Card arrives, a parent needs to call the Family Money Account Services at 844.936.6639 to activate the Card.